Thursday, April 12, 2018

Who Will Roar If I Go?... A Book For Every Young Researcher

Some of my best days in the library and classroom were spent helping students connect to the things they were passionate and excited about learning through reading and research. I loved watching them learn something new and take that knowledge to turn it into words, thoughts and great creations they'd share.  I was constantly on the look out for wonderful books and opportunities that would spark their curiosity and love for learning. 

This year I came across one of those books that I just couldn't wait to share with all of you.  It is called Who Will Roar If I Go? by...
Paige Jaeger and...
 illustrated by Carol Hill Quirk.
They share on the Who Will Roar If I Go site,

Do you know what an endangered species is and why animals become endangered?  
Our research-based book tells the story of thirteen animals who need our help before they disappear. The Lion is losing his home; Elephants are losing their tusks; the Zebra is losing his friends; and the Blue Karner Butterfly is losing a place to flutter around. But--we can all help if we just learn how!
With beautiful watercolor illustrations and rhyming verse that tells each animal's story, Who Will Roar If I Go? introduces the basics of endangered species to children and opens up conversations about how we can all help. 
Ask your children or students to do research and observe how even the illustrations reflect habitats and the text reflects concerns!  
If you are a librarian or teacher, check out the lesson plan ideas linked above! 

And I couldn't agree more! 
From the moment I opened the book,
the stories from each endangered animal hooked me and made me want to know more. 

Let's look at one of my favorites, the Panda from China.

With black-patchy eyes, I'm chubby and cute.  
I'm a lazy bear who chews bamboo shoots.
Sleeping and munching forests away
Are the two main activities that fill my day. 
But with so little space left for me to graze
You'll find me living in the zoo these days.  

You can see how the stories from each animal will open up fantastic conversations and research opportunities for your students.  They will bring compassion too. 
Paige and Carol made sure to spark the interest of young readers throughout the book by adding questions at the beginning, end and through....
creative images of paw prints and...
vocabulary. 
On the website, there are five lesson plans that focus on important topics such as understanding inquiry, graphic organizers and more.   
Students will love adding their words and illustrations to the I Wonder Graphic Organizer. This is one of my favorites. 

Thank you Paige and Carol for bringing all of us, especially our children, such a beautiful and important book.  This is one that every library and classroom should have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment