Monday, February 24, 2014

Brianna and I "Raise Our Voices" For Week Two Of The WRAD Blogging Challenge

As we celebrate week two of the World Read Aloud Day "Raise Our Voices" Blogging Challenge, I am in North Carolina visiting my favorite girl and friend in the world, my daughter, Brianna.  

I have always loved to share reading, books, authors, and illustrators with Brianna and my other two, Brady and Hagan.  It was fun to talk about the blogging questions with Brianna as we wrote this post.  

For the week 2 of the WRAD "Raise Our Voice" Blogging Challenge, you are to answer the following questions with a child. 
The child can be a student or your own. Age does not matter. 
1. I think everyone in the world should read…

Brianna.... I think that there are certain books for everyone, at every different age.  If you are little though, you should read my favorites....


The Kissing Hand, my mom read to every day to help me get through school.  I was very sad to leave everyday so that helped when she read it. 
Blueberries for Sal and Make Way For Ducklings....my Grandma read them to me when I came to visit.   These were my favorites at her house.  
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, I read this in 5th grade and made a shadow box with Mom. We made a small mouse out of clay holding a giant needle.
Me...I agree with Brianna.  

There is a perfect fit for everyone, but not the same from person to person. We talk a lot about this in the library and that is one reason we do so many book talks and sharing at all ages.  I would never recommend just one book for everyone. 

But I do love hearing what everyone loves to read...this always gives me more and more ideas as well. 

One of my favorite books, that I do love to share with all of the little people in the library, and one my mom read to us a lot, is Where the Wild Things Are.
And my favorite series was all of the Little House On The Prairie books.  I read this over and over again.
2. If I could listen to anyone in the world read aloud to me it would be…

Brianna... I would listen to my Grandma read aloud to me like I did when I was little. 

Me...I love listening to my Mom read aloud too....especially to my own children.  

I would love to listen to my Grandma Hazel read aloud to me one more time.  She passed away almost two years ago now and I miss her very much. I grew up right down the road from my Grandma and spent time with her every day. She would read to me while I ate one of her sugar cookies.  

I wish I could do that today.
3. When I read aloud, my favorite character to impersonate is…

Brianna... I really don't like reading aloud yet.  Maybe someday.  :) 

Me... I always have loved reading aloud...as soon as I was pregnant with Brianna, I started reading to her.  It has been so fun to read aloud to all three of my kids and nieces and nephews too.  Being a teacher librarian, I get to read to the little people in our library all the time too. One of the best parts of my job!

My associate Diana and I love reading the Elephant and Piggie books my Mo Willems together.  These are so much fun....everyone laughs and has a great time.
4. The genre or author that takes up the most room on my bookshelf (or e-reader) is…

Brianna....I love to read but my favorite genres are mystery and adventure.  My favorite author right now is Gillian Flynn.  My mom and I got Gone Girl and that was one of the first real adult books I read. I love the way she writes and her books keep you on the edge of your seat.  
Me...I love picture books and these take up the most room on my book shelf.  Every time I find a new picture book, I am excited and happy that I will get to share it with others.  

This weekend I found several new picture books that I bought.  I am most excited about Rosie Revere, Engineer.  I can't wait to read this one aloud all week to the kids in our library.  

5. My favorite part about reading aloud or being read to is...


Brianna...I think being read aloud to is relaxing.  

Me... I love being read to because I just let the words take me into the story.  

And the same when I read aloud.  It is so much fun seeing kids happy and excited about listening to a picture book. Or when you are reading a novel to an older child and the suspense and care in their face....It is always an emotional experience.  

One that we are all so lucky to experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment